Your shopping cart is empty
Bookazine #78 (SOLD OUT)
WE ARE SOLD OUT OF THIS BOOKAZINE BUT IT IS AVAILABLE AT AMAZON. CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE FROM AMAZON.
When we set out to focus the 78th issue of No Depression (the third edition of our so-called “bookazine” experiment with University of Texas Press) on musical families, it soon became apparent that the challenge would be to try to tell smaller stories rather than larger ones. It is, after all, impractical to convey the full histories of families such as the Carters and the Cashes, the Guthries and the Seegers, or Hank Williams and his descendants within the confines of a chapter, given that entire books have been devoted to them.
Still, there did seem to be some relevance in examining the sagas of those bloodlines (along with a handful of others) within the context of each other, for the sake of underscoring just how broadly the terrain of American roots music has been planted with family trees.
And so that’s what we’ve done. And, yes, Natalie Maines talked to us.
Table of contents for ND #78:
• Meet The Robisons, by Bruce Robison
• The Carters And The Cashes, by Bill Friskics-Warren
• The Earles, by Mark Guarino
• The Hadens, by Lloyd Sachs
• Christmas With The Wainwrights, The McGarrigles & The Roches, by Kurt B. Reighley
• A Portfolio Of Family-Style Photographs, by John Carrico, John Flavell, Deone Jahnke,
Erika Molleck Goldring & Thomas Petillo
• The Webbs, by Peter Blackstock
• The Guthries, by John Marks
• The Seegers, by Jesse Fox Mayshark
• The Maineses, by Don McLeese
• The Sons Of Rev. Gary Davis, by John Milward
• The Williamses, by Rich Kienzle
• Appendix: Reviews of Albums by Neil Young, Son Volt, Joe Henry, Ian Hunter, Booker T., Larry Jon Wilson, Wilco, A Tribute To The Songs Of Chris Gaffney.